Friday, April 18, 2014

The ascent - stage 1

Well, it's that time again: the yearly ritual of breaking out the welder, side grinder, and sorting the random steel that I have been collecting to patch the old truck again!

Several years ago, I had acquired several lengths of steel tubing that I thought would be good to make a "flat-bed" once the factory truckbed rusted through.  Inevitably, the day has finally come.

My wife and I recently purchased a piece of exorcise equipment that required the use of the truck, but necessitated the removal of the toolbox.  - Now, I must preface this with the fact that the truckbed was already very rusty and had developed enough compromises in the bottom that if I were to try to haul a load of sand several miles, there would be considerably less remaining in the bed by the time I reached the destination. - After I removed the bolts holding the toolbox down to the bed sides, while standing in the bed I reached behind it to slide it out.  When I did so, my feet nearly went through the bottom of the truckbed.  This was essentially the deciding factor that it's time.

 After work, I began to unbolt the bed and disconnect the wiring harness for the taillights to prepare to remove the bed from the truck.  After these things were accomplished, I wrestled the "box" off of the frame and onto the ground behind it.  It was lighter than the last time I had to do this.... 

After the bed was removed, my plans of immediately beginning work on the new truckbed crumbled like the rusted sheet metal I was replacing.  One of the crossmembers between the frame rails that also held the spare tire was greatly in need of repair.  The first question I had was where will I get the metal to fix this one?  So after about ten minutes pulling pieces of steal out of my cluttered scrap pile and wandering around the storage building looking for something I could disassemble, I retrieved a rectangular tubing from within the pile.  At first I wasn't certain it was long enough, but after closer examination, I came to the knowledge that it was just a few inches longer than I needed.

The piece that I utilized came from a treadmill that a friend had given us, but ended up malfunctioning.  I have always been enticed by steel from exercise equipment because even the cheapest pieces has somewhat of a considerable amount of integrity in the framework.This piece in particular came from the stand that held the computer.


After several hours, the treadmill piece became a permanent part of the framework.  But my hopes of building a flatbed were as dust in in an approaching wind storm because as I worked I made a closer inspection of the rest of the frame and crossmembers.  I found that it is now time to begin to make preparations for replacement...of the entire truck....  

This has been truly a saddened time as I look at vehicles for sale see how none of them compare to the little rusty workhorse.

FeO2 - it's becoming a symbol that speaks of cosmic and eternal truth: in all of this, there is a continued lesson of storing up treasures where moth and rust do not destroy.  Iron, as strong as it is, as great of a material fashioned by the hands of man, crumbles and fades and is subject to the light of the order established by the Absolute, the Unchanging One.  Yet, unlike the entropy of "Fe" caused by the reaction of the joining of O2, within our spirit we can develop and shape the "Fe", or "faith" of our lives.  Man fashions iron by heating and striking, heating and striking to forge tools, weapons, utensils, and jewelry after a form that has been embedded in his mind and transmitted in the direction of his nervous, skeletal and muscular system to "incarnate" that which he sees.  This is a manner of "faith" that what is not tangible becomes such by study and action.  So our Creator wishes it to be done within us in regards to that which is eternal: study and put into action the Form handed to us through the guidance of the Spirit of the true Craftsman, the Form of this Word revealed to us through the Incarnation - the living, teaching, dieing, and resurrection of the One we know as Jesus: the reversal of the "entropy" of the spirit of man.

No comments: